Location: San Diego, California | Job #:654 | Category: Marketing- VP Marketing/ CMO
Our client is a consumer product company that is rapidly growing and expanding their brand with a strong emotional connection to their customers and consumers. The retail partners are the primary expressions of the brand which drive the majority of the business today. The VP of Marketing will continue the brand’s evolution with partners and will also continue growing the focus to reach the end user (consumer) across multiple channels, solidifying brand awareness and positioning. As a member of the executive management team, the VP of Marketing is responsible for managing the brand while driving omnichannel revenue growth.
The VP of Marketing is responsible for enhancing awareness our clients Brand globally amongst direct customers and consumers as the foundation for generating engagement, traffic, spending, loyalty and recommendations to friends & family.
Reporting to the President and leading a team of 13 Marketing professionals across three departments: Brand Marketing, Education and Product Development, this individual is responsible for developing annual strategies and driving the successful execution of those strategies across all customer segments and product lines. This position owns the knowledge of the consumer and is responsible for distilling that knowledge throughout the organization.
Partnering closely with Sales, this role helps bring Marketing campaigns to life in more than 2000 retail outlets, with digital retail partners and brand marketing channels direct to the consumer. The ideal candidate will have relevant experience working in a two-step distribution network (retail or consumer goods) along with eCommerce experience, and most importantly as a strategist seasoned in the delivery of marketing plans that translate to compelling messages, and trend-forward brand experiences that resonate with the consumer.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Brand Management – Serves as a passionate steward of the company brand, optimizes and leverages brand standards to guide all marketing activities across company corporately and with retail partners. Balances the goal of achieving emotional connections with the brand with the practical need to consistently drive qualified consumers to retail and the brand website.
- Consumer Advocate - The internal advocate for the consumer, the VP of Marketing understands the need to create tight connections to the target consumer(s) and leads the organization in the understanding of their unmet needs, creating new approaches to meet or exceed those needs via product development, retailer education, consumer education and marketing messaging.
- Retail Customer Support – Supports our brick & mortar and digital retail customers by understanding needs, expectations and developing appropriate marketing solutions for this core distribution channel.
- Strategy Development – Revisits brand and marketing strategies on an annual basis and adjusts as appropriate. Develops Annual Marketing Plan and execution with goals and measures to assess the effectiveness of marketing executions. Understands the need to manage distribution channels appropriately to meet overall business goals.
- Digital, Social & eCommerce Marketing – Leads the digital strategy (and eCommerce) driving sales through retail partners and the brand website.
- Communications and PR – Manages all aspects of marketing communications, executions and company Public relations
- Research, Insights & Analytics - Identifies the appropriate research required to stay abreast of the competition and on top of consumer trends and customer needs. Disseminates these data to inform Product Development, Sales and Education in addition to Brand Marketing.
- Agency Management – Provides oversight and strategic direction to agency resources.
- Product Development – Supports the Product Development team by ensuring appropriate consumer research data, business trends and executive expectation are part of the planning process. Ensures milestones in the PD process are met and approved with the appropriate inputs and outputs. Ensures handoffs/processes to Brand Marketing, Sales and Education teams remains seamless.
- Customer, Internal and Consumer Education - Ensures the Education Department has the resources needed to deliver timely, relevant and appropriate training via in-person and digital formats. Maintains processes to ensure the smooth delivery to internal departments. Seeks improvements to the education curriculum that enhance the company brand
- Functional Management & Employee Development – Consistently drives for improvement across the Marketing organization. Actively coaches and develops employees for future growth. Operates from a succession planning mindset to benefit the overall growth of the Company.
- Innovation & new revenue streams – Continuously operates from a mindset of driving innovation into the Marketing, product development and education departments. Does not remain satisfied with the status quo. Has a bias for action and sets expectations for fresh thinking and ideas across the organization.
- P&L Management - Manages the Marketing Department budget as a P&L resulting in a shift, over time, to a semi-self-funded model particularly in the digital space.
- Increase retail store traffic + 8% YOY
- Increase website traffic + 10% YOY
- Increase system wide retention and number of repeat customer visits
- Grow new customers 10%
- Improve employee engagement +5%
- Increase Marketing ROI (by program/channel)
- 10+ years of experience in B2B marketing with additional B2C experience ideally
- 5+ years of marketing leadership experience
- · Heavy focus on marketing strategy, rather than creative expertise
- Proven experience developing, implementing and overseeing marketing strategies in a multi-channel environment including E-commerce, brick and mortar, and direct to consumer
- Experience working with a privately held, ideally founder led business preferred
- Experience working with Hubspot preferred
- Intellectual horsepower (highly analytical and strategic paired with a creative sensibility)
- Resourceful (stretches people and budget, compresses time, makes things happen without sacrificing quality)
- Organizational leadership & team development (leads through influence) in a hyper growth, agile environment
- Listening Skills (listens first, then responds)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Innovative and creative thinking (fresh imaginative thinking for annual planning)
- Emotionally intelligent (even keeled with superior interpersonal skills)