Our Australian based client uses a multidisciplinary approach to product development across a broad range of industries and markets. Working across design, engineering and technology they manage the complete product development process from end to end. They start by identifying the problem, define and develop the product solution and manage the production of successful products.
Our client loves to have talented and motivated people with a passion for product development on their team. They are looking to expand their team and add a Project Manager!
The role is multifaceted focusing on 3 main activities. Rough percentages of an average week:
- Cross Functional Project Management (selected Projects) (30%)
- Technical Expertise on projects (i.e. Design work) (40%)
- Project Conversion Support and support to sales team (30%)
Percentages of time spent may change pending the phase of projects.
- 5 years plus Mechanical Design Experience/ Electronic Hardware Experience or Industrial Design Experience.
- Demonstrated Commercial Acumen
- Experience taking high volume products through to manufacturing. Strong experience across DFX activities
- Experience in medium to high volume manufacturing ideally from a consumer product background
- Some experience in small terms with demonstrated experience of standing alone.
- Involvement in project management
- Hands on design approach
- Degree in Engineering or Design
- Ideally experienced working in product development consultancies
- Ability to learn and grow as the role expands
Position Objectives/ Responsibilities
1. Support Conversion activities
- Planning and estimating tasks and quotation support
- Understanding client needs and priorities, review client briefs/ create reverse briefs
- Supporting the relationship manager in building trust with clients
- Pulling information together to support conversion activities, such as inputs from other team members and pitch documentation
2. As a project manager
- Drive project deliverables. Oversee projects to ensure they are completed on time and within budget to a suitable OSD standard
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients
- Work with teams in the USA and Australia to deliver outcomes
- Input into team forecasting and resource allocation
- Work openly to review and remove project roadblocks
- Review project risk and propose counteractions.
3. Contribute as part of the team, partake where necessary on core design work. Provide specialist design skills where required as a wider part of the studio team. Tasks might include:
- Detail Design Work
- Design reviews o Specification and Requirement gathering
- Prototyping and Testing
- Design for manufacturing, release to manufacturing
4. Offer feedback and improvement as part of a continuous improvement culture
5. Perform other tasks as required
The ideal candidate will possess the following traits:
- Conflict Management
- Business Acumen
- Action Oriented
- Standing Alone
Goals are outlined with the employee and manager in an annual performance review, although typical goals for this type of role could include:
- Project Performance Measures (time, quality, budget)
- Project Conversion Measure